Monday, July 10, 2017

JULY MMM DT Challenge

It's July and for our Mixed Media Mojo July Challenge we are feeling patriotic!  So a couple of quick Patriotic Tags for the 4th of July Celebration!  These were done with the paint resist technique and using the Tim Holtz Blue Print Series for 4th of July and the Tim Holtz Flag Die!  What I like about these challenges, is that it makes me use colors that I wouldn't necessarily use and try out different techniques!



I will show the technique for the tag on the right- let's get started!

First I used a #10 manilla tag and stamped the tag with Distress Paint in Antique Linen. I used the  Ameriana Blue Print Stamp Set from Tim Holtz. You apply the paint on a nonstick craft sheet and use your brayer to  paint over the stamp and then stamp the tag. Make sure that you wipe the paint of the stamp as soon as your done stamping.  You do not want the paint to dry on your rubber stamp.

Dry your tag with a heat tool and then proceed to put on the color!!!  What I like about this particular technique which is called paint resist, is that it makes a great layered background!  I pulled out 2 reds and 2 blues of Distress Ink for the layering of colors. I used Fired Brick and Barn Door for the reds and Chipped Sapphire and Faded Jeans for the Blues.  I don't use these colors a lot but really enjoyed how they looked and will use them more now!  I applied randomly with an ink blending tool.


As you can see from the picture, the paint resist shows through the ink.  So now my card is red, white and blue!  I love, love this look and technique!
The next thing I did was apply Distress Paint in Fired Brick Picket Fence and Chipped Saphire and Antique Pewter for the Tim Holtz Flag and Stars. These were cut from chipboard for more texture.


A tip for those that may not have a particular die- You can often buy precut die pies in chipboard off of Etsy. Some dies are retired and cannot be found and this is a great alternative for those who want a particular die cut but don't have the die.

After attaching the chipboard with little foam squares to give some depth and definition, it was time to embellish!  I used the Tim Holtz Stars and the red, white and blue string to wrap around the card. The number 4 was from his Grunge Board collection painted in Antique Pewter Distress Paint!  The final touch was to outline the card with Tea Dye Distress Ink! And Voila!  My patriotic card was done!  Thanks for stopping by!  




No comments:

Post a Comment